This course has been developed in conjunction with Coeliac UK. It is aimed at dietitians who would like to develop their knowledge and skill base in coeliac disease. This is an interactive course that covers management of coeliac disease in children and adults patients. It will give a general overview of the disease, including symptoms, diagnosis, associated conditions and complications.
Detailed information and practical guidance will be given to assist in the management of patients with coeliac disease on a gluten-free diet including a review of resources available for both patients and health care professionals. National guidelines, European legislation and international standards will be considered. The course will also include case studies and workshops.
· By the end of the course, delegates will be able to:
· Recognise the symptoms of coeliac disease and understand the process for diagnosis and consider the nutritional implications
· Provide guidance on the dietetic management of coeliac disease and associated disorders
· Be able to refer to current national and international guidelines and standards
· Be complicit with the relevant legislation that enables individuals with coeliac disease to identify food on a gluten-free diet and interpret food labels
· Give practical information on gluten-free living and education resources
examples of best practice regarding the role of the dietitian in coeliac
disease management and running dietetic led coeliac clinics.